Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Do artists have the right, or the responsibility, to impose their political, social, and philosophical beliefs on viewers?


Guernica, oil on canvas, 1937
Pablo Picasso
Guernica is a painting by Pablo Picasso, in response to the bombing of Guernica, Basque Country, by German and Italian warplanes at the behest of the Spanish Nationalist forces, on 26 April 1937, during the Spanish Civil War.
Do artists have the right, or the responsibility, to impose their political, social, and philosophical beliefs on viewers?

In my opinion artists have the right to share their political, social, and philosophical beliefs on viewers. Note I said “share” vs. “impose”, I personally do not feel that anyone has the right to impose anything on anyone. Impose is a strong word that conjures up thoughts of tyranny, dictatorships, and caste systems in my mind. For example, I am a Christian and feel strongly about my beliefs but I think it rude to impose them on anyone. I willingly share my beliefs and testimony with others allowing them make their own decisions about faith. The same can be said for art, or just about anything in life.

All kinds of persons are artists’… they range from the weekend hobbyists to the full fledged professionals. Artists create artwork for two main reasons; 1… to get something out of their work and 2… to give something out of their work. Getting something from their work can range from satisfaction, peace of mind from a stress filled world, to money. Those that give are interested in communicating through their work. They have something to say… it may be bringing awareness to something, righting a wrong, or something as simple as saying, “I was here”. This group of artists not only has a right but have a responsibility to share their voice whether it is for political, social, or philosophical reasons. They can’t help it… it’s in them and it has to come out! The truly great artists learn to balance the getting and the giving!

What do you think?

Thanks for dropping by...
Bernie
"My Oath"
10x8" acrylic on canvas
Bernie Rosage Jr
2010

No comments: