Friday, March 21, 2008

Bernie's Ramblings: What Inspires Me... Scripture

Welcome to my ramblings... Over the next few weeks I plan to share with you "What inspires me to create art". If I had to put a label on one single thing that inspires me to create my artwork I would have to say "life" in general. I glean from the many things around me... seen and unseen.

This week... my inspiration topic is Scripture... God's written word. How appropriate with the Easter Season upon us. Many times I'll read a Bible verse and the subject matter for paintings will flood my mind. Sometimes the opposite occurs... as I work on a painting familiar scripture comes to mind. Either way... I find God's word often inspiring for my paintings and always inspiring for my life.

Many artist shy away from religious themes because they fear it may put them into a particular marketing category. Not me... I paint what inspires me... a broad range I might add. I want my paintings to reflect a part of who I am. When someone purchases one of my paintings... I want them to get more than pigment on canvas... I want them to get the experience and story behind the painting... in short... I want them to get a piece of me in each work. I want to share my passion for painting with them. I guess this approach could be considered marketing but I do not intentionally package myself that way. My beliefs are part of me and part of the package... therefore I do not hesitate to paint Christian subjects... it's a very big part of who I am.

Here are some examples (old and new) where Scripture was my inspiration.

~

~

"The Cross Set Before Him"... 20"x16" Oil on stretched textured canvas, 2004.

Hebrews 12:2... "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Read my art journal entry about this painting here... Jesus in Art....


"Basin and Towel"... 8"x10" Charcoal on Panel, 2003
John 13:15... Jesus said... "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." (KJV)

Art journal entry here: Masters Study... Jesus Christ


"The First Promise of a Redeemer" after Durer... 24"x18" Oil on Stretched Canvas, 2005

Genesis 3:14-15 ... So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, "Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life. And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Art journal entry here: Masters Study... Albrecht Dürer



"The Key" ... 7x5" Oil on Panel, painted alla prima from life, 3-7-2008
Isaiah 33:6 (NIV)... "God will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure."

Art journal entry: My Tribute to Christian Rock Band..."Third Day"


Thank you for tuning in this week to Bernie's Ramblings...

Happy Easter...
Bernie

No comments: