Sunday, December 02, 2007

A Branch of Cotton

"A Branch of Cotton"... 5x7" Oil on panel, alla prima from life, 11-2007.
SOLD... Thanks Again Bob!

Click image for larger view...



Growing up in the coastal plains region of North Carolina snow is something I see once a year if I'm lucky. Cotton fields with their white expanse are as close as I get. I set up this small branch of cotton in my studio and painted it from life. Why cotton?... It's conflicting textures of roughness and smoothness and the mere fact that most people don't know what cotton looks or grows like were the motivating factors behind this one. I hope you enjoy it... cotton still makes me think of snow.

Everyday objects painted from life is the essence of the "Painting a Day" art movement that is gaining momentum in the art collecting market.

20 2316 5/5/92

No comments: