Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Old Pump House

"The Old Pump House"... 6x8" Oil on Linen, en plein aire, 5-26-2007.
SOLD... Thanks again Al!

Click image for larger view...



Painting from life outdoors is one of my favorite things to do. The sights, sounds, smells add so much to the experience and I find plein air painting very relaxing yet challenging. The changing light and conditions force me to paint loose and fast. This scene was set along a small lane near a barn... the barn itself would make a great subject but I really liked how the light was striking this small pump house, the crossing shadows, and the way the lane curved past the scene... very inviting. I set up the easel... squeezed the paint on my palette... dipped the brush and had a great time. This small painting, "The Old Pump House", was captured in about 1 1/2 hours.

Here's the actual scene...

No comments: